John was wounded in France in World War I during the Somme Offensive, Ypres-Lys defensive sector. Today,his purple heart still proudly hangs in my house on Plumb 1 Street. (Courtesy Timothy McAuliffe)

1 Comment

Rich J. Rich J.

Re: Timothy McAuliffe 1918

Timothy,

If you have not visited this page you might find it of interest:
http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/wwi/infantry/106thInf/106thInfMain.htm

My dad Charles G. Johnston served 1916 to 1920 but was not overseas.  I just sent in his photo, now posted to the Veterans page.

He was in the 4th, and later 6th Coastal Artillery Corp (CAC) Ft. Monroe, VA.  He enlisted at Ft. Slocum, NY.  (He was born in 1895 in St. John's Newfoundland.  I'm now 65, he was 51 when I was born in 1946.  We moved to 48 Celest, December '46.  Mom lived there until 1972, dad died in 1955.  I've been in OH since '71

Rich Johnston