Mt Surabachi Iwo Jima

Patrick Roach: I got this spectacular photo, taken January 2001, from my nephew Michael who is currently a Captain in the USMC. It's not really GB, but I'm sure the old GB Marines that frequent the site would appreciate it. It's a flyby shot of Mt Surabachi, Iwo Jima that he took from the helicopter he was commanding. Here's the picture and the way he captioned it:

Our CH-46s are doing a fly by of Suribachi. The landing beach is the black sandy beach on the lower right. You can see the advantage the Japanese had by keeping the high ground. A battle we thought would last several days lasted a month  -Michael J Roach, Captain, USMC, USS TARAWA