Little League (2)

11 Comments

Bob C Bob C

Re: Little League (2)

This photo is of Norman Johnsen (Melba Court) hitting and Joe Accardi of Gerritsen Ave. (old section) catching. It is the same game as the last photo, July 1955. I believe the umpire is a gentleman named Mr. Glavine. As I recall he was a very fine man and a real good ump. The dugout is that of the Hawks and the man in the white GBLL sweatshirt is Charles Rielly. The folks directly behind the dugout in the stands are members of my family left to right- My aunt Barbara Krell and Grandmother Mildred Krell of Dare Court. My mother and father Theresa and Jim McBurney, my cousin Maureen Sullivan, holding the doll (now Carbone -she still lives on the beach -Noel Ave.) then of Melba Court and my sister Kathy McBurney (McDonald). (Courtesy Jim McBurney)
The Beach was paradise for us kids, what a nice place to grow up.
Lenny Lenny

Re: Little League (2)

Some of my best memories of  "The Beach" are of the little league. I played little league ball from 1955 to 1957. Walter Donnelly, my next door neighbor, was the president of the GBLL at that time. There were some great players back then. I often wondered why there never was a team representing Gerritsen Beach in Williamsport. I moved from the beach after I was discharged from the Air Force in 1970 and have been back only once about twenty years ago. I now live in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I thought I would never leave Gerritsen Beach because I had the greatest time growing up there with the many friends I have never forgotten. Would like to hear from anyone who knew me, Lenny Gray.
Bob C Bob C

Re: Little League (2)

Hi Lenny  you are in a few photos here, I remember our days in the GBLL and our Pony League team with DIck Mitchell as the manager. The Beach was the best place to grow up, we had so much to do, not many people outside the Beach knew about our little fishing village. I went in the Air Force too from 1966-70 Jimmy Cincola and I went in together I also left the Beach when I got out. I still miss it I've been there many times since my father was still there till he died in 1999 but I still go there when in Brooklyn. I was in Lackland, Sheppard, Incirlik in Turkey, England, Germany, Italy and in the states Warner Robins Ga, Andrews Md, Langley Va, Kelly Tx, Eglin Fl. I was in Geeia, I was inside plant telephone, we travelled a lot installing equipment. I liked it but 4 years was enough for me. Sorry I didn't see your posts till now, we are also on Facebook. I'll send this to you email also. Nice seeing you on the site.
Bob Catherwood
The Beach was paradise for us kids, what a nice place to grow up.
hawk15 hawk15

Re: Little League (2)

I was on the !st Civic Club Hawks team my # was 15 my name is Joe Hawkins the 2nd grandson of Al Roach

One of my teammates was Jimmy Campanella a lefty pitcher who pitched a perfect game against the Rams

Jimmy struck out 17 of the 18 batters that he faced the only batter that put the ball in play bunted back to

Jimmy the players name was Henry Rouch. I still remember some of my teammates Art Donnelly, Pete Hespy,

Pat Tearney. I played against Dennis Sweaney, Eddy Egan r the ones that come to mind. My only claim to fame

in baseball was that I played numerous times against Joe Torre, even though I was a catcher I pitched on inning

against the Brooklyn Cadets and I struck out Torre. I got to know Joe and he was a class act as a kid what u see

now is what he was then. Great memories of GB wish I could relive again. It was an honor to wear the GB Little

league uniform

Donald R. Purkess Donald R. Purkess

Re: Little League (2)

I remember playing in the GBLL for many years and than went on to the Pony League after that it was on to the Cadets! What a great time I had growing up in the BEACH ! Memories will last a lifetime!
Donny , Don Purkess, 29 Abbey Ct. Old section!

In a message dated 4/19/2014 3:34:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
[...]

http://ourgerritsenbeach-com-photo-gallery.1062859.n5.nabble.com/Little-League-2-tp4779055p5706781.html
To start a new topic under OurGerritsenBeach.Com Photo Gallery, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from OurGerritsenBeach.Com Photo Gallery, click here.
NAML
Lenny Lenny

Re: Little League (2)

I played for the Hawks when they were a minor league team in !957. My coach was Mr. Rogers and my Dad helped out with coaching. I was the ss until Mr. Rogers got so angry at me for always taking my time and almost taking a wind-up before throwing to 1st base just ahead of the runner. One day, when our pitcher walked three batters in a row, Mr. Rogers handed me the ball and said," If you want to pitch so bad, here's the ball '.To everyones, surprise, including mine, I struck the next three batters out. I later found out from my father that Mr. Donnelly, who was sitting in the stands, told my Dad that the only reason I was able to strike those three batters out was because when I took my wind-up, I would not look at my catcher (Fernandez style) and the batters would not trust my control. From that day forward I would be a pitcher, pitching for the Hawks in 1957,'58, The Cadet grasshoppers in 1959, and the Southwest Pony league in 1960. Mr. Donnelly was my next door neighbor and Raymond was my best friend. As you stated, Art played on your team but I don't know what year that was. I too knew Joe Torre quite well. I once saw him hit a home run out of Ebbetts Field during a championship game when he played for the senior Cadets. He also was at our Cadets awards ceremony in 1959 when he signed with the Milwaukee Braves. I also knew Rico Petrocelli and Gil Hodges. I bowled at Gil Hodges Lanes with a traveling league and bowled against Gil Jr. many times. Gil Sr had the biggest hands I have ever seen on a man. Oh, the memories are numerous. The Beach was the greatest place for a kid to grow up.what great times I had playing ball for the GBLL in 1957,'58, the Parade Grounds with the Cadets in 1959, and Marine Park with the Southwest Pony League in 1960. ( Lenny Gray, resident of Gerritsen Beach 1952-1970 )

[...]

http://ourgerritsenbeach-com-photo-gallery.1062859.n5.nabble.com/Little-League-2-tp4779055p5706782.html
To unsubscribe from Little League (2), click here.
NAML

Terrimanzari Terrimanzari

Re: Little League (2)

My parents were born in 1946 & grew up in Gerritsen Beach and looking at photos on this site I was surprised to see a picture of my uncle Norman Johnsen playing little league baseball in this photo!  He's my dad's, Paul Johnsen's, brother.  Norman also has a sister Beth Ann.  Norman would have turned 70 on May 21st but sadly he passed away about 15 yrs ago.  My dad lived on Melba Court and my mom lived on Seba Ave across from the firehouse.  In 1974 they moved with me ( then 4 yrs old) to Long Island.  We still have family in Marine Park and I have toured Gerritsen Beach so many times I feel a connection there.  My parents were married at St. James Lutheran church and their reception was at the Court Club.  They had a ball growing up there!
Lenny Lenny

Re: Little League (2)

Donald R. Purkess Donald R. Purkess

Re: Little League (2)

Len, I am sorry but I do not have the photo you are talking about available to me!
Thanks,
Don Purkess

http://ourgerritsenbeach-com-photo-gallery.1062859.n5.nabble.com/Little-League-2-tp4779055p5706786.html
To start a new topic under OurGerritsenBeach.Com Photo Gallery, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from OurGerritsenBeach.Com Photo Gallery, click here.
NAML
monusingh monusingh

Re: Little League (2)

dipika dipika