Frank Reilly 1949

Frank Reilly, Easter 1949, corner of Avenue W and Plumb 1st Street, the house with the "brick wall" around the garden.
Frank Reilly: I was living in Princeton NJ working for the Heyden Chemical Corp. We were making "brand new" drugs called penicillin and streptomycin. They were "radical" new drugs and I was doing really well. Oh, was I something to see...white gown, sterile gloves, mask...everything had to in a sterile condition. The penicillin was baked in a sterile oven, and my job was to take this hard cake and pass it several times through a grinding mill to reduce it to a powder form. Of course, the air was full of penicillin and I was breathing it all day long. Suddenly, one day I broke out in hives all over my body. The doctor advised me that I had developed an allergy to penicillin, and I was advised to NEVER take it the rest of my life. That ended my career working in a chemical plant. (Courtesy Frank Reilly)